Workshop - "Instant Composing"
With this project I want to reach all musicians.
Whatever age, background, instrument and style.
You are welcome!
Since I am working with future professional musicians for more than 20 years at the academy and at the Jazzinstitut Berlin (JIB) now, with this workshop I want to approach the
prestage of these musicians in their process of becoming professionals.
The concept contains a lot of playing techniques and exercises to learn the language of improvisation and real time compositions without notes and this
on all kinds of levels. This is supposed to promote the fun in playing music and experimenting.
Listen! Listen to! Listen to yourself!
- These are the goals of the workshop as a result of the conscience
handling with the sense of hearing, intuition, creativity, spontaneity...
- And the premise to develop concepts, that motivate us to do
spontaneous music playing (with or without notes)
- The idea is to gather all the participants together from the beginning on,
without a lot of preparing – no matter if beginner or advanced person
- Making music from the first note, communicate with other
instruments, inventing new and surprising sounds.
At the end of the workshop we will perform a few compositions following different models.
1. “Follow me” I play something to you, you repeat it
2. Instant conducting – of sequences (dynamic, rhythmic, melodies…)
3. Improvising to “pictures”/”motifs”
4. Minimal-Music – exercises
5. Track with easy structures and arrangements – inventing out of the
moment (soloist begins, others join in)
6. Further solo entries of other “brave” musicians
7. Increased confidence of every participant through group feeling
provided by being able to swim together on a sound wave
8. Rhythm training with and without instruments
9. Having fun and going home with motivational boost!
Too often I’ve come to recognize, as soon as the term ‘improvisation’ comes up, there is a worried insecurity palpable in the room. The goal of the work shop is to minimize or dispel this insecurity.
22 solo-, duo-, trio and quartet pieces for all saxophones in different difficulty levels.